Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Blogging: Organizing Your Thoughts

I have a couple of blogs that I write, including this one you're reading right now and another blog featuring stories about the things we keep.

Here are some reasons why I like blogging as a tool to help me stay organized:

1. Too many ideas swimming in my head and I need to have a place to do a brain drain, where it might also benefit someone who happens to be reading it.

2. My typing is much neater and faster than trying to handwrite all the stuff that's floating in my head.

3. I can go to one place (on my computer to a specific site, blogger.com, versus possibly anywhere in my house) and be able to review or re-edit past entries or add new entries very quickly and easily. Much, much simpler than trying to seek and find my writing journal or notebook where it's anyone's guess where I left it the last time I wrote in it.

4. It's a place to store my story ideas and reader submissions for my upcoming book series, Our Stories, Our Stuff: The Special Meaning Behind The Things We Keep.

5. Having an active blog with followers is a motivator and reminder that I have to keep writing on a regular basis to keep things fresh and updated. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't make the effort to write. Great way to push through the procrastination, as you've heard me say in my workshops.

An added plus: the more I write, the easier it becomes. It's an example of developing a habit or a routine, as we've talked about in our De-cluttering and Organizing support group sessions.

Blogs are also a great way to get the message out to many people at one time, in those cases where you don't want to send emails back and forth and/or you need to make edits and changes on the fly. I created a blog for our school PTA board members to update on our inventory lists; I've seen examples of other schools updating their blogs with events and school cancellation notices. It's much easier and quicker to update a blog versus maintaining a website.

Are you a woman who blogs or is thinking of starting a blog? Here's a great resource for you: BlogHer 2009, which is THE place to meet up with other women blogging experts, to find advice, articles and info.

If you'd like help in getting started in the wide wonderful world of blogging, drop me a line or contact me anytime.

Helping you to Sort Things Out, one step at a time!

~Eva

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home