Wednesday, February 04, 2009

5 Things When Stuck Inside on Snowy Day

The Story Behind the Video:

When there's a snowy day in New Jersey and I'm stuck in the house, I go a little stir crazy. Cabin fever, I think it's called. Then I get this urge to make videos. Of Top 5 lists. All while trying to keep the regular routines at home.

And this is going against all that I teach, which is Focus on One Thing.

When I created and edited the video below, it was around 4:00pm in the afternoon, at the lowest energy point of my day, when I'm helping the kids with homework, fixing a snack for them and getting dinner started, all at the same time.

And what am I doing? Bouncing around in the kitchen, from the table, to the sink, to the refrigerator, to the stove, to the computer, and back again... This is what I tell my clients NOT to do.

But I'm focused. On One Thing at a Time.

Two to five minutes at a time, however long it takes to do the task on hand at the moment.

The 'normal' afternoon routine in our house is on automatic pilot, after many months of tweaking and following my own advice to apply the STO System of Organizing. I just happen to throw in a new task of producing|editing|uploading a video at the same time, that's all.

Now I'm not telling you to try this at home ("do as I say, not as I do"). I think it helps a bit that I have a video production background (from many years ago) and that I had already spent many hours in the middle of the night to learn the video editing software.

So, I had a plan on how to create the video in the most efficient way possible. Maybe it wasn't the most high-tech or animated or graphic-rich video that I could have done, but, hey, considering the circumstances, I think it's OK for my first try at it. Plus, dinner didn't get burned either.

Here it is:



Special thanks to the followers on Twitter who responded to my original tweet for their Top 5 Things to Have on Hand When Stuck Inside on a Snowy Day:

@Mike_Wesely
@ProfOrganizer
@tammigirl
@radiomanmic

Here are their original tweets:


Are you following me on Twitter? Who knows, your tweet could be in my next video.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! You turned a snow day into a PROJECT day, and inspired me to learn how to do neato-keen stuff like this. Any chance we can get you to teach an ad hoc Go-To-Meeting webinar on video-making the next time there's a snow day? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home